8.6.10

thirty days of sharing: day sixteen

16. a song that makes you cry (or nearly)


"Nessun Dorma" from Puccini's Turandot, sung by Luciano Pavarotti

I've listened to Nessun Dorma countless times, ever since I was seven on a road trip with my parents up to Vancouver to the time I went to Opera in the Park the year Pavarotti died just days before and teared up none so elegantly when they broadcast this song across the field. Every time, this very performance makes me goosebump over; Zubin Mehta orchestrating the Orchestra from the Teatro dell'Opera di Roma (which I have the great honour of listening to twice this past year), accompany Pavarotti's truly unique tenor tones. There's never a time when I'm listening to this recording and not wish I was there to see him perform this. The video above cuts out at the end but you can still here the audience clap before he ends and then erupt after the music ends....it's really quite something.

No comments: